Interested in providing a workshop for your employees? Below is the menu of half day workshops that Ms. LaRue is available to teach.
Each workshop will focus on specific aspects of some of the popular trends in US literacy education.
This workshop will equip the educator to act as a facilitator who encourages the students to actively participate in the reading process. This workshop includes all the materials you need to get started, except for the novels the students will read.
- What is a literature circle?
- How to put a literature circle together
- Your role as a teacher-facilitator.
- literature circle roles
- How to create your own customized literature circle role worksheets and/or response cards.
- How to group students according to their reading abilities.
This workshop will focus on strengthening literacy skills. The core of each station will include the one of the four essential literacy skills: listening, speaking, writing and reading.
- What is a literacy station?
- How to create a literacy station.
- What your literacy station should include.
- Building flexibility into your literacy station.
- Literacy station rules and procedures.
- The essential materials you will need to create a successful literacy station.
- How to organize your literacy station.
- How to link reading, writing, listening and speaking skills to thematic content.
This workshop will equip the educator in a myriad of ways to access the student’s knowledge.
- How to create a rubric.
- How to use rubrics to grade student created products.
- Examples of different worksheets and student created products.
Examples of student created products teachers can “make and take” include: book-in-a-bag, book jackets, posters and dioramas.
This workshop will teach the educator to use graphic organizers in the classroom. It’s a unique approach to writing that helps the ESL student chunk down information and then organize it in an easy to follow framework.
Topics covered include:
- How to use graphic organizers to help students organize their thoughts.
- Using different graphic organizers for different purposes.
- How to create a custom graphic organizer.
- Where to find free graphic organizers online.
- How to model the thought process when using a graphic organizer.