I love using PowerPoints in the classroom. Once you get the hang of it, you can knock them out fairly quickly. You can jazz it up with pictures, media and audio too. Also, there are lots of free PowerPoint templates that you can download to keep things interesting. (I’ll post more on that subject later.)
If using PowerPoints in the classroom seems like an overwhelming task then please read this article by Don L. Fisher and put your mind at ease. Also, I found this tutorial that will walk you through the process.
Now back to the topic at hand, there are loads of great free PowerPoints all over the internet. The problem arises when you are looking for a specialized topic, but if you are looking for general ESL PowerPoints then there are plenty to choose from.
Below are a few sites that offer free PowerPoints on general ESL topics:
- Scroll down for a few free demo PowerPoints from ESLgalaxy.com
- The Internet TESOL Journal has a handful of free PowerPoints on verbs, contractions, and common root words.
- ESL Castle has a few free Powerpoints on grammar.
- English 4 Kids has a list of four PowerPoints that can be used as games or used for grammar review.
- ESL Kids World has several PowerPoints to choose from.
- EL Civics has a large assortment of Powerpoints including holidays and US Citizenship.
- 4 Kids ESL has a a list of about 4 free PowerPoints to choose from.
Check out the links below, especially if you are looking for something specific in the content area:
- 4th grade Social Studies
- Elementary Presentations
- Jefferson County’s PowerPoint Collection
- Jeopardy Games
- More PowerPoint Games
- World of Teaching
And finally, click here for some really creative ideas for getting the students involved using PowerPoint presentations in the classroom.